With the support of the #WePROTECT Children Online global initiative and UNICEF LACRO, ICMEC Latin America and Caribbean (ICMEC LAC) coordinated a series of regional events focusing on the protection of children from technology-facilitated child sexual abuse and exploitation.
South America Regional Event
The first of these events took place in Quito, Ecuador from 30 November to 3 December 2015, and consisted of:
- A two-day regional conference for South America, which was open to the public and streamed live on the Internet;
- A two-day training for police and prosecutors; and
- A forum and training for existing and potential Latin American hotlines.
Central America & Mexico Regional Event
The second of these events took place in San Salvador, El Salvador from 7-11 March, 2016, and consisted of:
- A two-day regional conference for Central America and Mexico, which will be open to the public and streamed live on the Internet;
- A three-day training for police, prosecutors and judges.
Latin America Coalition Against Child Sexual Abuse and Exploitation
On 1 December 2015, in Quito, ICMEC LAC presented on the Latin America Coalition Against Child Sexual Abuse and Exploitation, and invited the different stakeholders attending the event to join if interested.
The objectives of the Coalition are to:
- Serve as a repository for guidelines, protocols, and actions related to child protection in the region; and
- Be a regional platform for sharing existing regional and international good practices, discussing the standardization of processes and procedures, and other relevant issues.
These objectives will be accomplished by bringing together and facilitating an open exchange between leaders and decision makers from Electronic Service Providers (ESPs), Internet Service Providers (ISPs), NGOs, government, and law enforcement agencies in the region, as well as existing Internet hotlines. Ultimately, it is anticipated that a more coordinated and cohesive regional approach will help further strengthen local efforts in combating online child sexual abuse material.
If you are interested in learning more about this initiative, or any of the regional events, please contact our ICMEC LAC team directly.