Thank you for your interest in The International Centre for Missing & Exploited Children. We value the hard work, commitment, and contributions of our staff members as well as our interns! If you support our goal of making the world safer for children, and have a passion for excellence, we want to hear from you! Available positions and internships are listed below. Once you have submitted an application, we will contact you if your skills and experience match our needs. Please do not contact by phone.
Business Research Internship
The Office of the President & CEO seeks a Business Research Intern to conduct research related to ICMEC’s mission and the priorities of our partner corporations. This research is critical for strengthening and developing ICMEC’s corporate relationships and providing insight for fundraising and strategic planning processes. The Business Research Intern will support The Office of the President by undertaking research, drafting informational briefs, mapping corporate entities including identifying core technology capacities and operations of various companies, and assessing how those capacities could be applied to child protection work, and other assigned projects.
Legal Research Internship
Legal Research Interns will support the Sr. Vice President of Research & Operations and the Research Coordinator in The Koons Family Institute on International Law & Policy, the organization’s research arm, by conducting substantive legal and public policy research and analysis, writing, and editing a variety of publications, white papers, organizational resources, and other projects. Interns may focus on topics such as missing children, child sexual abuse material, online grooming, child sex trafficking, child sexual abuse and exploitation, and other related topics. Research will primarily focus on national legislation and policy but will also consider regional and international legal instruments to understand national priorities and responses. Interns also may utilize foreign language skills and regional areas of expertise. For the Summer 2021 semester, interns will continue to work remotely with the possibility of limited in-person interaction in the ICMEC office in Alexandria, Virginia if circumstances allow. A determination will be made about Fall 2021 internships (virtual, in-person, hybrid) in the coming weeks.
What are the requirements to intern at ICMEC?
The nature of ICMEC’s activities generally requires that Interns:
- Be available to work 12 to 15 weeks, at least 15 hours per week (20+ hours preferred) during the Fall or Spring semesters;
- Be available to work 8 to 12 weeks, at least 20 hours per week (30+ hours preferred) during the Summer term;
- Undergo initial and periodic background checks; and
- For Legal Research Interns – Have completed undergraduate studies (working toward a Master’s or Juris Doctorate degree strongly preferred). We will consider students in their sophomore, junior, or senior year of undergraduate studies with relevant experience;
- For Business Research Interns – Have completed at least one year of undergraduate studies in Business Administration or related field.
- For Digital Strategy Interns – Current students who have completed at least one year of internship/job experience in digital strategy, web maintenance, digital communications, digital marketing or similar.
*In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, internships will be completed remotely for the foreseeable future, but with the possibility of limited in-person interaction in the ICMEC office in Alexandria, Virginia if conditions allow.
Is the internship paid?
All internships are unpaid, though ICMEC may provide a small stipend to help defray commuting costs to ICMEC’s headquarters office. (The stipend will not be provided when internships are completed remotely.)
Does ICMEC provide housing?
ICMEC does not provide housing for interns nor do we provide a stipend to cover living expenses.
How do I apply?
An application form is available at www.icmec.org/careers. You can submit the application form online. Please be sure to include a Statement of Purpose or cover letter, résumé, official or unofficial transcripts, and writing sample.
Point of Contact:
ICMEC Internship Coordinator
2318 Mill Road, Suite 1010
Alexandria, VA 22314
When do I apply?
Applications must be received by the application deadline (though the deadline may be extended as needed):
- August 16 for Fall semester;
- December 31 for Spring semester;
- March 16 for Summer semester.
We will do our best to respond to you quickly upon receiving and reviewing your application, usually within 3-4 weeks.